• Main Street, Collon, Co. Louth
  • info@ardeepost.com
  • Opening Time : Always Open
Derry City vs. Drogheda United And Dundalk vs. Waterford United - Preview

Derry City vs. Drogheda United And Dundalk vs. Waterford United – Match Reports

Five-Star Derry Thrash Drogheda to Extend Winning Streak

Derry City 5 – Drogheda United 1

Derry City continued their impressive League of Ireland run with a dominant 5-1 victory over bottom club Drogheda United at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium on Friday night. This victory marks Derry’s fourth consecutive league win, keeping them in close pursuit of leaders Shelbourne.

The Candy Stripes were in control from the outset, with Cameron Dummigan setting the tone with a brilliant 25-yard volley just five minutes into the match. Despite a brief threat from Drogheda, where Adam Foley equalized, Derry quickly regained the lead through a Will Patching penalty. Further goals from Daniel Kelly, Pat Hoban, and Ciaran Coll sealed an excellent night for the home side.

Drogheda’s night started to unravel when Foley’s equalizer proved short-lived. Referee Rob Harvey awarded Derry a controversial penalty after Foley was judged to have fouled Mark Connolly. Patching converted the spot-kick to restore Derry’s lead. Daniel Kelly then scored from what appeared to be an offside position, but the goal stood, adding to Drogheda’s frustration.

The match’s intensity escalated when Frantz Pierrot received a second yellow card, reducing Drogheda to ten men. Derry capitalized on their numerical advantage with a well-crafted goal from Pat Hoban, assisted by Kelly. Ciaran Coll rounded off the scoring with a header, ensuring a comprehensive victory.

Derry City Lineup:

Brian Maher, Cameron Dummigan (Ronan Boyce, 84 mins), Ben Doherty (Ciaran Coll, 84 mins), Mark Connolly, Shane McEleney (Sam Todd, 84 mins), Sadou Diallo, Adam O’Reilly, Will Patching (Colm Whelan, 76 mins), Daniel Kelly, Paul McMullan, Pat Hoban (Danny Mullen, 68 mins).

Drogheda United Lineup:

Andrew Wogan, Evan Weir (Evan Haddock, 85 mins), Andrew Quinn, Jack Keaney, Frantz Pierrot, Adam Foley (Emre Topcu, 75 mins), Matthew O’Brien, Ryan Brennan (James Byrne, 70 mins), Luke Heeney, Conor Kane, Warren Davis.

Referee: Rob Harvey

This victory not only maintains Derry’s winning momentum but also showcases their attacking prowess and resilience, crucial as they continue their title challenge.

Waterford Leap to Third with Victory at Dundalk

Dundalk 0 – Waterford 2

Waterford climbed to third place in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division with a 2-0 victory over Dundalk, ending the home side’s eight-game unbeaten run at Oriel Park.

First-half goals from Connor Parsons and Dean McMenamy put Keith Long’s side in control. Despite Dundalk’s efforts, they couldn’t recover, allowing Waterford to overtake Shamrock Rovers in the standings.

Dundalk had the first significant chance of the match at four minutes when Robbie Benson found space but shot wide. Waterford responded quickly, with Ben McCormack narrowly missing after Padraig Amond headed Darragh Leahy’s cross back across goal.

Paul Doyle and 18-year-old Sean Keogh, making his league debut, had further opportunities for Dundalk, but it was Waterford who struck first. Christie Pattisson’s run and pass set up Parsons, who finished neatly into the bottom corner at 19 minutes.

Dundalk pushed for an equalizer, but Waterford doubled their lead just before halftime. McMenamy’s free-kick from the edge of the box nestled into the bottom corner, giving the visitors a comfortable cushion.

Early in the second half, Waterford nearly made it three when McCormack’s set-piece found Amond, whose header went inches wide. Dundalk came close to pulling one back at 50 minutes, with John Mountney’s shot narrowly missing after good interplay between Eoin Kenny and Archie Davies.

As the game progressed, Dundalk continued to create chances. Mountney’s header from a Keogh cross went over, and Ryan O’Kane headed a Davies cross off target. In the dying minutes, Mountney’s free-kick was parried by Waterford goalkeeper Sam Sargeant, who also denied Daryl Horgan on the rebound.

Waterford substitute Niall O’Keeffe had a late volley over the bar, and Sargeant saved a final free-kick from Benson, securing a clean sheet for the visitors.

Dundalk Lineup:

Ross Munro; Archie Davies, Zak Johnson, Hayden Muller, Sean Keogh; John Mountney, Paul Doyle; Daryl Horgan, Robbie Benson, Ryan O’Kane (Robbie Mahon 73); Eoin Kenny (Cameron Elliott 66).

Waterford Lineup:

Sam Sargeant; Darragh Power, Grant Horton, Kacper Radkowski, Darragh Leahy; Rowan McDonald (Robbie McCourt 89); Christie Pattisson (Joseph Forde 90+4), Ben McCormack (Niall O’Keeffe 79), Dean McMenamy, Connor Parsons (Connor Evans 89); Padraig Amond.

Referee: Paul Norton

Despite a spirited effort from Dundalk, Waterford’s clinical first-half performance proved decisive, showcasing their strength as they push higher up the league table.

Find Us On Facebook
Find Us On X
Live Chat