• Main Street, Collon, Co. Louth
  • info@ardeepost.com
  • Opening Time : Always Open
Government Pledges €5.8 Million for Housing Adaptation Grants in Louth and Meath

Government Pledges €5.8 Million for Housing Adaptation Grants in Louth and Meath

The Irish government has announced a substantial allocation of €5,857,676 to support housing adaptation grants for older people and those with disabilities in the counties of Louth and Meath. This funding is part of a broader €93 million national initiative for 2024, aimed at enhancing the quality of life for these vulnerable groups.

Minister for Housing, Local Government, and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien TD, and Minister of State for Local Government and Planning, Alan Dillon TD, revealed the individual allocations on May 30, 2024. The 2024 funding marks a 12% increase nationally, adding €8 million to the previous year’s total, continuing a trend of annual increases since 2014.

The Housing Adaptation Grant for Older People and Disabled People is designed to facilitate essential modifications, repairs, or improvements to homes, making them more accessible and comfortable for their inhabitants. The grants aim to support independent living by providing necessary adjustments to accommodate the specific needs of older adults and individuals with disabilities.

The funding structure includes 80% of the grant provided by Exchequer funding through the Department of Housing, Local Government, and Heritage, with the remaining 20% contributed by local authorities.

In County Louth, the total funding amounts to €2,479,585, consisting of €1,983,668 from the Exchequer and €495,917 from the local authority. Meanwhile, County Meath will receive a total of €3,378,091, with €2,702,473 from the Exchequer and €675,618 from local sources.

Minister O’Brien expressed his enthusiasm about the increased funding:

“I am delighted that we are able to allocate increased funding in 2024 to ensure delivery of these much-needed grants. These grants enable local authorities to support older and disabled people to live independently in their homes. They also bolster local economies by creating employment opportunities for local contractors and businesses.”

The grants available include up to €30,000 for necessary works for disabled individuals, up to €8,000 for repairs and improvements for older people, and up to €6,000 for mobility aids.

With the combined funding from the local authorities, the overall €93 million allocated for 2024 is expected to facilitate approximately 13,000 grants, helping older people and those with disabilities maintain their independence at home.

Minister Dillon emphasized the government’s commitment to this initiative:

“I am pleased that funding for our local authorities to administer this scheme has continued to increase year on year since 2014. These grants have a profound impact on the lives of many beneficiaries, aiding older and disabled people to continue living independently. As the Minister of State responsible for housing for these groups, I am fully committed to supporting individuals to remain at home and within their communities for as long as possible.”

The government’s Housing for All strategy includes a commitment to reviewing the Housing Adaptation Grants scheme. The Department of Housing, Local Government, and Heritage is actively engaging with the Department of Public Expenditure, NDP Delivery, and Reform to implement recommendations from a recent review, with plans to publish a final report and amend relevant regulations soon.

Find Us On Facebook
Find Us On X
Live Chat